Friday 9 December 2016

Paris ...... part two

We tootled off to the Market where PJ would sit in Le Charolais (hic) and I would trundle round at my own speed ...... sort of slow, slow, stop!
Taken from Googlearth
Where we stay in Porte de Vincenne there is a Patisserie opposite the Hotel - PJ nips out and buys some croissants while I am getting dressed - and there are Bistros on each corner.  The wide boulevard at the top of the road is handy for Trams, Metro and Buses so we usually start the day at the local bar, on the corner, for our morning coffee - delish - but today we discovered ...... a market!!  
Weeeell .......one has to doesn't one?!!
We wandered down our side of the road, marvelling at the quality, size and variety of the food.  It's been a long time since I have seen such an array of produce - even fresh skinned rabbits! 
I started to ache a bit so we crossed the road for the bus..... but look ...... a flea market!!!  
We wandered down that side of the road, me in my element but not able to see anything worth buying.  PJ went off to the Orange shop to see about cables and when I reached the end of the stalls I walked back to meet him, passing a shoe shop .....


I like things that are different ..... never would have known would you?!? lol

In the window ..... boots ...... on my feet.... in a box..... paid for and I was out again!


We arrived quite late at Aligre Market, no idea why!!! 
The whole street is a fresh produce market (see above), so we had to thread our way through all the food stalls to reach the square but PJ ensconced himself at the Charolais and I started my walk round the stalls.
I bought a beautiful old tooled leather covered sketch book, and then found some boxes on another set of tables ...... photos, postcards, papers, just junk ..... oldish junk ...... just what I wanted to rummage through!
A packet of old fashioned Air Mail envelopes - do you remember them?  A really old paper envelope full of old Italian postcards.  A torn folder full of small, ATC sized, textured cards and envelopes.  An old but very clever Christmas card and another old postcard of Paris.
By the time I had finished here and paid for my 'junk' some stalls were closing up but I did manage to see a bronze statue that I simply had to have.  
It was a smaller version of one that we had at home, belonging to PJ that he treasured (can't remember why!)  so I bartered and managed to get it for a good price.
I then popped into the Chocolate shop for my samples ..... the Christmas displays filled the shelves and no samples were to be seen. 
The young man that served me had no English  but between my basic French and his eagerness to serve, samples were wrapped and paid for.  
French service and packaging is just so perfect, take my shoe box .... not just a plain white box in a plastic bag.  The chocolate ..... not just pre-wrapped and shoved in a bag ...... makes me feel like a valued customer.
We had a 'sandwich' at the Charolais - half a French stick, ham, salad, cheese .... massive!  There were also several coffees and Kirs.
Some time later we decided to call it a day and go back to the Hotel ..... by bus of course!!!
I had had a lovely day, PJ had had a lovely day - I presume he did as he slept ever so well that night!!
We decided that the next day we would travel round Paris on the buses, possibly having lunch at L'Escale Restaurant over by La Defense.........

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful day this one was, would have loved that flea market, what treasures - you'll be able to incorporate them into your ART JOURNAL.....!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an ideal day! Some great finds there! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info