Thursday 6 February 2014

Date with David Essex

Sometimes life has a habit of colliding from all directions.  Today was one of those days.

As I sat eating my breakfast I remembered it was WOYWW - What's On You Workdesk Wednesday - so I arose and went into my 'office' and took the compulsory photo, all reported on my other Blog.
I spent some time visiting a few of the other desks and then the collision happened.

I had a phonecall from C to say that R's Mother had been taken to the Hospice and C didn't know what to do.  We talked, made various suggestions and then, late afternoon PJ took her to R's house to be with him.  He had been to the hospice to visit his Mother and had left to get some sleep (as if ...)
A few minutes later, N came to collect me to go to the theatre to see David  Essex in a play at Birmingham Repertory Theatre.
We chatted on the way into town bringing each other up to date with happenings and C's news.

We went into one of the local to Brindley Place restaurants for our tea, which was very enjoyable.

.... and very filling!!!


As we walked back to the theatre, I checked my phone and pondered on C&R and what was happening.  Here we were going to the theatre and there was that family who were about to be devastated.  I offered up a prayer and continued to wonder as we walked into the theatre.

The play was very different to any I have seen before .... funny in a dark way ... but entertaining.  David was good but then so was everyone else - both of them!!!  Sounds awful doesn't it, three men on one stage with one set - a kitchen - but it wasn't.  How they managed to remember their lines I do not know.  David's lines were quite profound at times and this is an outline:

Emmett used to be a high flyer in the City until the financial crisis abruptly changed his life. He was used to dining upstairs amongst the glitterati but today he’s back with a new career – as a dishwasher.
Alongside his new colleagues, dominant self-appointed leader, Dressler, who’s been happily scraping and scrubbing for over 30 years, and the decrepit Moss who’s about ready for retirement, Emmett attacks the endless supply of crockery that descends from above.
A good night was had by all and it certainly gave us something to talk about on the journey home.
The collision was still on though, so many different lifestyles going on all the time, this evening has left me deep in thought and prayer.
During the night R's Mother went home to heaven ......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info