Saturday 15 October 2016

One fir tree down...

It has been decided that the Conifers in the Visitors Garden are getting too big.  I do agree that one of them is getting dangerous, not just in height but is pulling up the slabs with its roots.
We are also having to have a container built, wire cage, storage space, whatever almost!!  So the garden is going to be changed.


The entrance to the garden has a conifer on each side, one with a small Yew growing at the base.

I cut back all the plants at the base of these trees not long ago and now we have a much wider and neater entrance to the garden.








The beautiful Yew bush has had a good 'haircut' and is now trim and square ....ish.  The Senecio has also been trimmed, right back now that it has finished flowering.


Then came the news ...... one of the Conifers is being taken down, the whole area is going to be a storage cage.

No problems there as I had been warned in advance but I had wanted to be there to take a few cuttings from the Yew.



I rushed over to the gardens, hoping to be there in time to retrieve a few cuttings ... but no such luck.  The Yew was the first to come out of the ground, followed swiftly by the fir tree, concrete and all the 'logs' border.

The poor Conifer tree still stood but no longer proud ..... bedraggled is more than like!!!
Its branches were piled up high and underneath it all .... the poor old Yew.


On my next visit to the gardens, there was not a trace of the border, slabs had been removed and there was a nice pile of sand and gravel in there.
The hole is all that remains of the small border garden.


On my next visit, the iron strengtheners had been laid over the rubble base.  

The wooden surround had been set up ready for the concrete mix to be poured....


..... and now the cage stands proud.  
I have been unable to come for a week, so much has changed, so quickly. 

The cage is finished and the storage facilities for the inside are being made in the workshop.


Something heartwarming was also in the garden, part of the scaffolding tower  ...... being used!  


My BIL would by so very pleased to see this.




And here is the final shot of the cage ....


..... a new 'planting' in the garden!!  lol



I might just have to 'find' myself a pot of two in which to plant some climbers....

..... then again I could make some Steampunk ornaments.....

.... any more ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info