Wednesday 14 March 2012

Lack of postings here!!

I haven't forgotten my blog friends - been ultra busy!!!
I have found myself a job .......... yes!......... I know ................. I HAVE RETIRED
Well, it just so happens that this little job was advertised and it sounded rather interesting.  Captioner at the local theatre .......... couriosity aroused!              so I applied.
There were 10 of us on the day, two dropped out by lunchtime so the remaining eight did all the tests ....... English grammar test followed by listening test (listening to part of a play, following the script and marking the script for pauses, grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.  Once only!!!)
They would let us know within the week.
Nothing
Three weeks later I had an email congratulating me and offering some training dates - yeah!!! I'm as good as the rest - which I knew but didn't really believe.
There were two of us and we were then inundated with emails - dates and times, scripts, Training Manual, disks, more scripts and disks, more training material ........... to do exercises were also included (how kind!)  But we ploughed on day and night, morning, noon and whoa!!! one needs a break ........... no! ........... one needs a laptop!!!
LAPTOP!!
There had been no mention of that!!
Help! I yelled on Facebook.
'Borrow mine' came back the replies - I made the choice and it was delivered (along with a McD - thank you Nade!)
V e r y s l o w . . . .  add some memory.  Now why can't I do that?  I am slow and forgetful, please give me some memory, please!  please!  Memory bought (along with a posh mouse)
like this except mine is white with pretty black lace design!!!


So off I go today, up a side street near the back of the theatre  ............ sign in ........ meet up with other 'captioner to be'. 
We are shown into a room, the trainer comes in and helps us set up our laptops and the day begins.
It was brill!!!
Very informative and, good to know that even someone as experienced as our trainer cannot get some of the disks to work either!!!
We survived, and now are able to use the captioner software on our laptops.  We worked with it and without it, listened to music, checked out work and so on and so on ...........   Tomorrow we go back for more!!
So there we are .......... busy ...... busy ............ BUT I won't be doing this until next year so once my training is out of the way and I have passed my exams (and I will!! - I am assured that I will pass) then it will be back to as near normal as I get!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info