Monday 14 January 2013

Hellooooo..........

Missed me have you???  yeah! yeah! yeah!

I am much recovered now and up and about ...... not much as it is too cold.



This is how my phone told it last night ........... and then it tipped it down and by 06.00hrs there was a nice thick layer of the white stuff.


By the time I was up and about properly, the 'outside my window world' looked like this .............

We tend to hibernate a bit in the winter...... cold 'gets' to us.  For those who don't know ................ we do not have Central Heating................ it can get mighty cold in this house.  We have always enjoyed paid employment so by the time we came home, had something to eat it was time for bed anyhow so we never bothered getting the CH put in.  I quite enjoyed using other people's CH!!!  Now we are retired we cannot afford to have it done and ........ I don't really want the mess, there is not enough room in my kitchen for the boiler (we did try to get it put it once .....) so we remain well wrapped up and enjoy hot stews and curries.  
The cold usually lasts for about three months and so we concentrate on March.  
March ...... that's it!  
It will start getting warmer by then!  
3 months that's all.  
So we indulge in late mornings and early nights.
It is a pity that my PC is in the back room, I am trying to get my laptop to be internet friendly but so far no luck, we just have to settle into the bedroom, leaving the PC to freeze in the backroom without any guilt feelings at all, until I realise I haven't updated my blog and people may feel deserted!!!

On another note:-  I have found a beautiful old book about Birmingham............

I started clearing out my craftroom, keeping physically active keeps you warm .......... at one point I had to remove a layer of clothing I was so hot!!!  Only one layer you notice .....anyhow back to the book....

If my memory serves me well, it was given to 
me by an old friend called Doreen who left her home of many years to live with her daughter.  When downsizing it's good to find a home for precious (to her) things and although I accepted the book I refused Carl Chinn's  Magazines as I can read those on line.  The book was printed in 1880 with a forward written in 1879.
It is beautifully bound although falling apart in places, pages that have browned with age but a treasure. 




 There is a dedication to a Sam: Timmins and to Joseph Chamberlain, a very famous resident of Birmingham.

 I hope to be able to scan this book and then show it to members of the BHF, maybe I can pay back some for all their photos and articles I have so enjoyed.  
There are lots of pen and ink drawings of places around Birmingham and a well defined history ............ I may include some of them on here. 







At the moment I am writing out some more of my memories for future posting, typing on, sorry - rephrase that - hitting digital keys on, my phone takes for ever but it is the only way I can get these memories down - remember we are like Charley's grandparents    (Charley and the Chocolate Factory)   :-) 

I leave you with this thought:- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info