Tuesday 19 March 2013

Phantom of the Opera - Theatre Production

I went full of trepidation but was pleasantly surprised.

I first saw the phantom at the Beaufort Cinema with my sister as I have mentioned here and also here.
The deal with C was that I would go with her to see the show and she would watch ET with me.  This should erase the bad memories of these times for both of us.  I have had the tickets to this show for several months and eventually the time came for us to go.  
I will not mention here *giggle, giggle*  that C rang her Dad at 17.15hrs wondering where we were, supposedly we were due to meet her in town at that time!  After much rushing about we arrived outside the pub, met up and went in to have our tea.  At least we took comfort in the fact that I had not worried too much about going!!
So while C went off to the shop, I went into the Hippodrome out of the cold wind and bought the Programme and treated her to a souvenir mug, then we went in to our seats.  We were in the Circle (she is like a six year old, so excited, she just lurves this show so much) and quite close to the chandelier, which thrilled her even more.  
So the show began - I have an open mind, my memory consists of him dragging the girl into the sewers - in black and white, lots of smelly water and smoke, her screaming and ............  
Back to the show...............
I quite enjoyed it, not fully relaxed as I know they will end up in the sewers.  Then the point is reached where the chandelier crashed to the floor - well, obviously the Theatre can't afford to keep replacing it every night while they are on tour - so there were a few sparks and an explosion and SOMETHING hit me just above my right eye, dropped to my arm and then onto the floor. 
It did! 
I couldn't say anything as the show was still going so I waited until the interval and then told C, who was astonished and, although we searched we could find nothing solid, so agreed it must've be a spark.
During the second half, and the dreaded sewer bit, I could feel this burning on my face and had to keep touching it to calm it down, so I wasn't 100% concentrating on the show.
The sewer bit did not affect me!
After the show finished and nearly everyone had left, I went to the row in front, and lo and behold! there was a piece of (sugar) glass from the chandelier!!
Needless to say C was thrilled with her tiny 'souvenir' and I was so relieved to find that I was right .......... something had hit me!  We reported the incident to the House Manager as we thought that he should know in case it happened another time - this was the Opening Night performance.

But I felt cheated above everything else.............. Why?.................... That is the question. 

The show was superb, everyone sang wonderfully, the acting was good, costumes great, music perfect although a little loud at times so ..................

I have come to the conclusion that it cannot allay my fears as it isn't the same production as I saw as a child.
With this in mind I have Googled the films and decided that this version must be the one I watched with my sister.  There are some parts of the storyline that ring a very distant bell.................. but it is in colour whereas I seem to remember it as black and white.  The only black and white version is silent  .....................Maybe I will be able to watch it on UTube and then the matter will be closed.

I will certainly go to see the show again - but in a seat far away from the chandelier!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info