Sunday 8 April 2012

Oban, Scotland

We used to travel everywhere by coach when I was young, Smith's Coaches in Sparkbrook was a particular favourite of my mother.  She would book a day trip by going into our newsagents, sorting and paying for the chosen trip and then came home to tell Granddad, Dad and me.  We went to all sorts of places. ...... Burton-on-the-Water being a memorable one for me.
The coach usually picked us up outside our local pub - these were the days when there was a pub on nearly every corner so directions were given by pub names - The Baldwin, then onto the Gospel Oak, The Guns in Acocks Green (now the Inn on the Green), the College Arms on Stratford Road, the Mermaid (now 'The President' Indian Restaurant - or it will be when it gets rebuilt after its second fire), and into the garage in Sparkbrook (now a taxi and car repair place).  With a bit of luck our coach would be the main coach but this didn't happen very often, we usually had the feeder coach so we had to get off and join another coach!!
Then off we would all go. ......  out into the countryside and onto somewhere interesting.  There was also an Afternoon Mystery Trip.   My mother REALLY loved these, we went on lots of them - driving round the English countryside for a couple of hours, an hour or so walking round and then nearly always ending up at the same restaurant for tea!!  I used to eye up the driver and if he was 'worth it' make eyes at him in his driving mirror - if they 'played away' then they would slyly move their mirror in order to see you better.  It wasn't that I was pretty but that I was the only youngster on the coach, a teenager at that!!!
What innocent fun!
We came back to the garage and then we returned to the Baldwin via the morning's route but in reverse, which meant that, as we were the last on the coach, the driver would drop us at the end of our road instead of the pub.
Such a shame those days are lost. ...... although I did once find a company that did those sort of trips and my niece and I had a smashing day out at the Granada TV Studios.
Now what brought this on you ask …………….. I’ve been to Scotland on a coach tour!

To delight in food is one of my greatest joys.

Oban is a small ferry and fishing port on the north west coast of Scotland.  P went there when he was a child. my Godaughter spent many childhood holidays there,  and people have often told me how lovely it is.  During our recent tour we spent a few hours there and found it to be delightful.  We walked (P says read 'Marched'!) along the seafront quite a way and then strolled back, yes! we did stroll - looking at the views and taking photos.  Nestled among the buildings is a shop called 'The Oban Chocolate Company' so we called  in there for 'a cup of coffee'.   http://www.obanchocolate.co.uk/

Weeelll, anyone who knows me will know that 'coffee' includes a cake!!
Outside this shop was a board advertising Belgian Waffles (I love these and have them at our local carvery. Small, pancake type pastries) so in we went, ordered our coffees and waffles, and wandered round looking at all the various objects on show.  There is a kitchen inside with a viewing window so that the Chocolatier can be seen producing the beautiful handmade chocolates.
Our waffles and coffee arrived at our table.

 This was mine:-
After I picked myself up off the floor, I got stuck in!! It really was as delicious as it looks.  Very filling and lots of delicious, fresh strawberries underneath that cream.  P and I discussed this very beautiful place, especially the food which, whatever was ordered, was a generous size.  We were not the only ones taking photos!!

I bought some small boxes of handmade chocolates for presents.
We walked along the promenade back into the town, did a bit of shopping and had a coffee after our sandwich which we ate whilst sitting by the ferry terminal.  We went inside and collected some info as we have decided that we will visit here again. ..... maybe in October when the trees are changing colour.  After we came back to the Hotel we found that there is a trip here, and we would stay at the Alexandria which is right on the seafront!  Marvellous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info