Monday 20 August 2012

BUCKINGHAM PALACE ........ THE VISIT

The sun had started to shine by the time we reached the Palace so it was very pleasant, not hot but pleasant. 
There was a big, and I mean big, queue to enter, from the Ambassadors Entrance, but it was very well organised as each ticket is given a 15minute window.  Ours was 13.00hrs and G  &   H was 13.15hrs.  The queue went round the side from the entrance to the front, already split into time slots.  We were moved into the tent behind the fence where a few ground rules were explained to us like no photography, keep in line, any questions could be put to staff etc. and then  ………….. 
It was like going on a plane as security checked us and our bags, but then the crowd thinned out a bit and, as at  the Palace of Versailles, we collected our ear phones – not me, I can never understand them – but while I waited for the others to collect theirs I chatted to a member of the staff who said there were written guides so I had one of those.  Up the Grand Staircase and off we went.  I wish I could've kept the paperwork but they had to be handed back with the headphones when we went into the garden.

I shall show the pictures from the Souvenir Guide that I bought for R at training, wish I had bought one for myself now!!!!

The Green Drawing room
impressive and very bright - more like gold really but then I realised it is the furniture which is green!  doh!!






The Throne Room
    Those two seats although quite well worn were
 a bit awe inspiring, most likely very uncomfortable for sitting on.  Most of the Royal Wedding photos were taken in here and I can understand why.  It is a huge room.  Not much furniture so lots of room for people to mingle and children to run about.





The Picture Gallery
I wasn't aware that the Royal Family had so many original paintings.  All subjects and Artists.
Very interesting in a non-art appreciative way ............ well I know what I like!



Then we all veered off into a darkened room, with large well lit cases which were set in an S shape down the centre of the room.  The Royal Jewels were amazing but looked like glass, I don't know why diamonds don't do anything for me.  The room was organised so that there were two queues going through, one on either side, it was very hot and noisy.  The Jewels were in large glass cases, lit like jewellery shops so that the diamonds sparkled, and the folks went through the room and out into the Ballroom .  PJ was caught up in the centre and, after I had sat for 10mins waiting for him, I went out as I thought I had missed him.  Suffice it to say that this was one time he was not wearing his hat!!!  When I followed the route into the Ballroom there were just rows of seating (which was crowded with people who had funny black ears!) and he was nowhere to be seen.  I went back and a lady staff member came to inquire if I was alright.  I explained and she went off to look for him.  He eventually came out, not knowing that anything had happened!!!!  The lady just laughed along with us – I hope ……….


The Ballroom
This room was set with cushioned benches across the room, rather like a church. Considering it had been soooo crowded and hot in the jewels room, the Ballroom gave  us chance to cool down, catch our breath, natter about what we had seen (the headphones came off for a short time) and really look around.  It wasn't quite as crowded as at the photo of a Knighthood ceremony shown here but set us thinking of all the ceremonies held there …………. 




The State Dining Room
The state dining table never has a table cloth, the finish is like glass except for the bit where G put his fingerprint – found out afterwards that G had licked his finger and pressed it on the table top.  I told him it was a good job he didn't have a Police Record!  love it! 
Made my day!!!




                                                                           Blue drawing room
Very large, very crowded and very hot! 
It didn't look much like this!!






The music room is huge, very bright but not much music.  People tended to spill out into here and, with the windows open it seemed quite cool.  There were no instruments apart from the piano on show.  Imagine the Princesses playing on the piano for their father and mother .............................. old romantic aren't I?

 



                                                          White Drawing Room
I thought this was very fussy but lots of great paintings and beautiful furniture.





The Minister's Staircase
The marble statue of Mars is huge, beautiful – this photo does not do it justice. 

I have to admit that I didn't 'see' much of the rooms after the music room as I was very hot and, as the crowds were quite thick here, we just walked through to the Garden.
  



We came out onto the terrace, with stepes down to the garden, where there was a Garden Café so we immediately adjourned to it!!!  This is the view from the bottom of the steps. Just over on the left are the 'points' of the Cafe tent.





Poor N had to pay out as we had previously decided to have a Scone here and it was his turn to pay – scones £4.75 (to die for!!!  Large, cut in half, layer of strawberry halves, clotted cream) .  We were all agreed  - well worth it.



Everything was throwaway so it was easy to clear the tables as we left (as in McDs – but nothing like McDs!).  The trays were a plain duck egg blue, paper plates, good plastic cutlery and takeaway cups.  Somehow it didn't feel cheap.
It was very busy and noisy but then it was a sunny day and perfect for a Garden Party!!!


This must be what the Queen sees every day she is here (without the crowds of course!)– beautiful!  There photos were taken from the steps but away from the Palace.  PJ happened to be behind the lampost as I focused and then stepped into view as I snapped - is that a case of photo bombing?? 

We wandered off to the garden and just followed the path round.   

View of the music room from the other side of the lampost!



I was surprised that the garden was so informal but if the Queen or family members go walking (or perhaps jogging in the case of the younger members) first thing in the morning it must be wonderful.  Mist rising from the lake ..................

View from the lake towards the Palace and at 16.00hrs it was difficult to look at the lake and reconcile it with the fact that we were in the centre of London. 


I don't know if you can see it but we noticed the Heron beyond the Coot.  Was it real or fake?  I said fake but PJ reckoned he saw it move its head.  I think this was a manmade nesting place but it was certainly being appreciated.





I shall have to look this one up but this bush had really unusual blossoms.  I couldn't get close enough to read the label but ....................... lovely.
Showed off against a fence -
until everything else grew!

Showed off to perfection in a
woodland setting


- See Maj's Wind  Anemonies


See my Wind Anemonies -







this is the simple flower, pretty and delicate



Last minute ice cream if you haven't stopped for coffee.







The views from the exit gate – to the left and back into the garden - how I would love to see where the right path would take me ......... there is a little bridge at the end ................


Stepping through the gate, we stepped back into the hustle and bustle of 'the Capital City' with all the noise, traffic and smells.  It was like stepping through the Wardrobe in 'The Lion, the witch and the Wardrobe' book, another world.
The whole event was very organised and the staff were just wonderful.  So helpful and kind and informative and smiling and chatty and  ………… great. 
The staff around the Palace wore navy blue jackets trimmed with red and teamed with navy trousers/skirts, nothing was too much trouble, there were no stupid questions etc  and all with a smile. 
The staff in the Garden Café wore cream shirts and duck egg blue trousers/skirts.  I wasn't keen on the style of the shirts here as I didn't think that it suited some of them but …………… when you think HOW MANY staff would be needed for these thousands of people (keeping visitors happy is a major job – visitors from all over the world) …………. I would imagine the uniforms would be bought in vast numbers and sizes and you grab the best you can.
We spoke to a young lady in the garden who said that it was just a holiday job for her while at University.  She thought she had finished her exams but then had to learn sooooo much, especially to do with the house; it was like cramming all over again! 
I also had a joke with the young man at the exit who was wishing us goodbye and hoped we had a good time.  He and the Policeman were in fine form and, as usual, I tried to leave them laughing and feeling good. 

Marvellous.  I shall take more cash with me next time to buy souvenirs.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info