Thursday 25 July 2013

Open Day at the Railway

We spent all week, and I mean 'we', cleaning the house.  PJ had invited M to stay over so me being me - house to clean top to bottom.
R took me into Training so that I could plant up the 'window boxes' and hang the basket down in the Signal Box garden.  I watered some and weeded a bit then came home - it's hot again.
Open Day was very over cast and then not long after wards it started to rain, then it poured.  I was soaked through.......... to the skin.           So I came home. 

All I managed to see was this visitor from the Talyllyn Railway.   I nearly missed him as I was expecting a full size engine.......... kinda cute though!
By the time I arrived home the sun had come out again but I left 'the boys' to it, they could explore without me ............. explore?!    hmmmm!      more like PJ showing M all about it........
We went to Ming Moon in town for our evening meal and I was very disappointed.  I think I have said before that this restaurant serves a buffet and some excellent Sushi.  Not this time.  No Sushi at all, I was a tad embarrassed as I had bigged them up a bit to M, but there you go.
We didn't go back to the Open Day next day as we had a lazy morning and then went with M to New Street Station in the middle of town.  

This station is the crossing point of England - I believe that all tracks going North and South cross at this point.  
It has soooo changed.


This is how the entrance looked as far as we were concerned.


Now we walk down Stephenson St to the entrance - the station side is lined with shiny metal so it is like walking under and alongside mirrors - different!





The final entrance will be beyond here, at the end of the street and will look like this .............





Nice isn't it?  We'll see, at the moment it looks like this.............


So when we went inside it was all light, airy and bright, shops and escalators............ we followed the signs and ended back in the Palisades shopping area, which was good cos now we knew where we were!!! 
Something familiar, so we had a cup of coffee and a piece of cake (you knew we would!!!) and looked down on the first view of the entrance and discussed the shock we had just gone through.


It is much better than this shot of the station taken in 1912.



Better I suppose than this shot taken in 1980





This is an artist impression of the finished area




and pathways to platforms.



We both agreed it had been interesting and maybe we should go somewhere by train............. just to get a better view of the inside you understand!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - if the finished item is anything like the artist's impresssion, it will be wondrous. There is so much interesting new building going up in the UK these days.
    Thanks for your blog comment, on my blog, too, and of course you can link up, would love to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info