Friday 9 October 2015

Wear something light at night

We have travelled around this country a lot but, one evening, as we all came home in the car, I noticed a child.  This child was being carried from a broken down car at the side of the motorway by its mother.  As I happened to look across the road, I noticed the legs dangling at the mother's side as she carried the child up the embankment, otherwise I would never have seen him.
This scene worried me most of the way home and, after we had arrived safely and gone to bed, I thought about all the 'ifs and ands'.
If that child's legs hadn't dangled I would not have seen him.
If I didn't see him, how would any other driver see him.
If he was being carried and it was a cold evening, how would he stay warm once they reached a 'safe' distance.
If he was at that safe distance, how long would he be there.

And if I didn't see him, how would anyone else .......

It played over and over in my head and I thought how it would be if it happened to us.  Cheeky Monkey would be carried up the embankment and then what!?

By next morning I had decided I would not have him standing in the dark and cold with his adults.  I would make a blanket for him, not just any blanket but one that had stripes of bright fluorescent colour.  These stripes, being fluorescent, would be picked up in car head lights so that he would be seen.  The blanket, crocheted in various wools would be thick and keep him warm when he was wrapped in it. 
I took myself into town and bought several balls of wool including three fluorescent green and started crocheting that very night.  I just made it up as I went along, crocheting each ball of wool into a square, or oblong in my case!  I then made sure that each square was the same size by adding rows of the green and then joined up all my squares with the same bright green.  
Once they were finished, I went round the outer edge, stopping to buy more bright green, twice in dc and twice in tr.  
The blanket is finished, it is rolled and ready to be kept in the car, just in case a cheeky monkey needs to wear something light at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info