Friday 19 April 2013

Dyeing in the sunshine

Before Christmas I bought some new dungarees for gardening.   I love my camouflage trousers, which I wear at present, but when I am digging etc. there is a gap at my waistline and it is (besides being unsightly!) very cold so I thought dungarees would prevent this.  The Dungarees are perfect in fit and for pockets, always too long in the leg, but the colour is BRIGHT BLUE.  
So I bought some dark green dye - four packets cos I am not very good at this so I wanted to make sure I have enough colour!!
One day last week the wind dropped, the sun sort of shone so I thought this would be a good time to change my bright blue dungs into dark green dungs.



                                                    One large bowl for water and dye, out on the old patio table, it gets used more as a potting bench than a table!!!





In went those bright blue dungarees, under the water and stirred for 15mins, then occasionally for the next hour.
 I used an old wooden spoon but  somehow the dye managed to reach my thumb and finger so  those plastic gloves from my old hair dyeing days came in useful - after the fact of course!!!!



I kept them in the water for half an hour longer than instructed just to ensure the dye had taken......................... the silver pocket tops went dark greenish, the trousers looked dark blue ish.


I hauled the soggy mess out, not very happy and rinsed them in cold water - several times until the water ran clear .............. you can see from the picture that I am not very good at dyeing clothes!!!


Ho! Hum! they are a darker blue ............. definitely not green.  
I wouldn't be so upset but I want to wear them next week to training, not blue but green, and I followed the instructions to the letter, measuring the water and the salt, stirring, living in hope..................
maybe I will add some camouflage patches................. suppose I could draw some leaves in dark green ............... appliqué some flowers .................. 
pass them on and look for some green dungarees!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Christine. How do you handle three blogs...lol! I decided to follow this one, I like to read about people and their memories. I have so much fun using my blog to write my family stories. I figure that each post is like a small chapter of my life. I notice that the previous post was on Oblivion. They have been advertising that film for months and I loooove science fiction. We go to the movies every Friday that we are not traveling...so Oblivion is the film for this coming Friday. Thank you so much for visiting me. I love it when someone new comments. I have visited Great Britain a few times...I love it there! Such a beautiful country. I enjoy British TV series...especially Foyle's War and the one about the Midwives. I am not happy with Downton Abbey and the ending to the last season...I may or may not continue watching. =D Anyway...I am babbling, so I will wish you a good evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info