Wednesday 3 April 2013

Songs from School

I enjoyed my days at Corpus Christi Junior and Infant School, twas there we learnt  'In Derry Vale'.  
I could sing high notes in those days and just loved to let rip singing the words to 'The Londonderry Air' (now known as Danny Boy!).  How I imagined those daffodils  the stream, the salmon leaping ......... we not only learnt the words but actually studied what they were about............ then we'd sing............... beautiful!
W. G. Rothery
In Derry vale, beside the singing river,
so oft I strayed, ah, many years ago,
and culled at morn the golden daffodillies
that came with spring to set the world aglow.
Oh, Derry vale, my thoughts are ever turning
to your broad stream and fairycircled lea,
for your green isles my exiled heart is yearning,
so far away across the sea.

In Derry vale, amid the Foyle's dark waters,
the salmon leap above the surging weir,
the seabirds call - I still can hear them calling
in night's long dreams of those so dear.
Oh, tarrying years, fly faster, ever faster,
I long to see the vale belov'd so well,
I long to know that I am not forgotten,
and there at home in peace to dwell.

I was fascinated to learn that this song was among the tunes that the orchestra played in the Titanic Ballroom ............ off I go again ......... gorgeous gowns, men in evening suits, dancing and swaying to the music .........


When I started at Our Lady of Lourdes it was all change, even the songs.  About the only thing that remained the same was the Mass format.  The only song I remember learning (or trying to ......... it was a fast tune, everyone knew it by heart and only me had never heard of it!!) was something about an iron - it was a folk song apparently.

When I moved onto Grammar School it was all change again.  The one thing I remember is hearing a song being sung in the school hall just before Assembly.  Being Roman Catholic I was not allowed into Assembly while Protestant prayers and hymns were being prayed and sung, so we had our own Assembly in one of the classrooms but we could hear them singing and that's when we knew it was time to file into the back of the hall ("quietly gels!").
It wasn't until I gave my heart to Jesus and started to celebrate His Love in Protestant Churches that I could really learn the words and tune. 
 I still love it today.............Jerusalem.

The Anthem of England, God Bless her.



And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountain green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

Details of the legend can be found here.here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info