Friday 26 April 2013

Knitted Shawls Memory

Back in the day, when people knew their neighbours and Mother's stayed at home to look after the home and bring up the children, there was a very kind hearted neighbour who lived in the next road to us.
She had a heart of gold but could she talk ........................  I think everyone tried to avoid her when out and about as it seemed she could never shut up!  Even her husband, a very short slight dapper man, always wore a suit and a trilby hat, would walk on and she would say - I'll be along directly - but it could be half an hour later.  She was a lovely lady, heart of gold and a tidy house.  We used to fun her - 'look out Gertie's about'  we would say if we met anyone on our journey to and from the shops!
When she found out I was expecting my first baby, she was very generous.  Whenever we met she would ask me to pop round when I had time as she had a little something ........... it would be a matinee coat or bootees or suchlike.  One day she had a rather large wooden box which she thought would be ideal in which to keep the baby things.  I lived at home as we were saving to buy our own place (babies weren't planned in those days, couples had to be very careful!) so where she thought I would keep this box I do not know, but I couldn't refuse it so room had to be made.  I must admit that it came in very useful as a storage box and then after the baby was born it was used as a wardrobe, even had her name painted inside!!!   I was devastated when I found that the second practice husband had given it away but that is another story.
Among the gifts was a piece of knitting............ that's how I think of it, a piece of knitting.  It was just a long piece of multicoloured knitting, consisting of all the various bits of wool that she had been given - she was always knitting - not in particularly baby colours ................... heart of gold had Mrs Dodds.  
This 'baby shawl' was invaluable when M was growing up, she loved it - such a mixture of colours and textures were attractive to her.  
I remember when, at two years of age, she had Measles (we were stuck in our room in the dark for three days) and when eventually I managed to get out, she was wrapped up in this 'blanket'.
It used a pattern that was lacy yet not overly fussy and gave the piece a scalloped effect.  
Over the years I have often seen this pattern used for various garments but never could find the pattern - never knew it's name, Gertie said 'Oh! it's ever so easy!' but that is as far as it went.
BUT the other day I found the pattern name and instructions - the internet of course!!!
So I thought I would try to see if I could knit a 'piece' ...........I cannot believe it has taken fifty years to actually knit this pattern - a few stitches for practice with some green wool I have used for dressing my teddies and off I went.


I have enjoyed knitting this so much that I have had to go into town and buy some more wool!!!  I managed to get another ball of the green, also a pale pink and then found a reduced bin with the softest white wool at such a silly price I had to buy three balls of it -sigh  - in fact I might pop back in and see if there is any white left, it is knitting up sooooooooo soft!

If you're interested the instructions follow:-
Feather and Fan 

Feather and Fan worked on 36 stitches.
Sarah White
Definition:
Works on multiples of 18 stitches.
Row one: Knit.
Row two: Purl.
Row three: Knit two together three times, (yarn over, knit one) six times, knit two together three times. Repeat across the row.
Row four: Knit.
Repeat these four rows for pattern.
A variation of Feather and Fan adds two stitches (worked on multiples of 18 plus two). Simply knit the first and last stitch on row three.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info