Sunday 11 September 2016

Discovered Wardrobe

While sorting out my new Studio I have found .............

. ...What on earth is that? do I hear you ask!!
Ah! Well! It is something that brings back soooo many memories .....
I made it.
The back story is this ....
Back in the day, when one left school one had a meeting with the 'Careers Officer'.  She came into school and interviewed the school leavers, those that weren't going on to University, trying to place them in a suitable career.  I was adamant that I would not go into an office - not that I knew what an office was like - as I would not be able to sit listening to all those typewriters tapping away!!
It was decided that I should work with children, becoming a Nursery Nurse.  Once I was qualified as a Nursery Nurse, I would then be able to move on either into the medical profession or as a Private Nanny.  I knew I didn't want to be a nurse, midwife or anything like that but the Nanny career sounded good to me, lots of travel for one thing and .... the world was my oyster as to where and for whom I worked.
The Nursery Nursing Examination Board (NNEB) course was spread over two years, included theory and practical training and, depending whether I worked with the Department of Education (Summer Holidays off!) or the Public Heath (07.00hrs until 18.00hrs in shifts), pain a small salary.  Guess!
I started in the September after I left school, Mondays at training centre, Tuesdays at College for Further Education and the rest of the week at a nursery - in my case, school.
I attended Bourneville College on Tuesdays, amazing place with amazing tutors.  I enjoyed all of the lessons until, in the second year, we had to design and make a wooden toy.  I wanted to make a dolls house but was told we didn't have enough time ...... I went off the Woodwork Tutor!! 
Discussing the situation with my parents, we decided maybe a wardrobe, small coathangers and the clothes to go on them.    Stitching was my bag!!
When I told the Tutor what I had decided to make, he was quite happy and then he told me how to do it, good rounded curves at the top of the doors, wooden fastenings with a key hole ......
Not good.  MY wardrobe!  MY design!
So I made 'steps' along the top of the doors, which upset the tutor but I loved it.
My lovely wardrobe ...... no coathangers (painted in primary colours of course!), no clothes either (a dress, wool coat, nightdress - full outfit.), but it's MY wardrobe.
It's very sad to see the passing of time showing itself, a broken side ..... a damp patch ......

I never went sailing on liners around the world as the Ship's Nanny, I never worked as a Private Nanny for some rich family ..... I met a young man, fell in love, married and had a family ..... and became a Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. I've just caught up on all your wonderful posts, I love reading what you have been doing and especially love the tumble dryer pot and your wardrobe. Your days out look wonderful and I feel that I have been there with you. The fish and tomato and rosemary sound lovely, have you a recipe? Gdad you got a new room and music while you "play". I agree about Maplins our store people are great too.
    Have a GREAT day and week.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info