Thursday 22 September 2016

Torquay & wine & crabs!

We had hoped to visit our friend today but she has been taken poorly so our plans were changed.
We decided to go into Torquay and check out the charity shops there for books and wool.

As we had missed the bus and didn't want to wait for another hour, we decided to order a taxi and reach the ferry across the bay that little bit quicker.
Our journey was very smooth, and the boat docked a wee bit closer to the town so that was less distance to walk.  

As we walked round the harbour we noticed this big fella.......
We travelled up the hill to the shops at the top and slowly worked our way back down.  It was a fruitless journey so we decided to stop and have lunch, just a sandwich and takeaway coffee.  We stopped at Warrens Bakery, bought a pasty, sandwich and two coffees.  The staff were so friendly and PJ said the pasty was delicious and I can vouch for the sandwich!!!!


We continued our journey down the hill to the main road where the named shops lined the road.  PJ bought his books from Smith's and I popped into Poundland.  

Well, I had a lovely shock inside ....all the wool was reduced in price!!!  
Bearing in mind my little blankets .... I think it is time to stock up with wool!!!
I bought lots of balls of wool, several shades of pastel colours but my favourite was the white wool, it has just a sparkle in it of silver.


We sat outside at Shiraz which is right on the quayside, and had one or two drinks, then went inside for a meal.  
They serve ample portions of lovely food, no wonder they are so popular.

Web photo




While we sat outside, I ordered a fresh crab from the stand in the harbour, the lady dressed it and brought it across to our table in a cute brown paper carrier bag.  


Delicious!!  Can't wait to try it.

We travelled back to Brixham on the local bus, inside as my knee is still hurting a bit from all the standing and walking around on the Open Day, but we did find another two rhinos
I have some walking poles with me and, although they draw a few looks, they have helped me enormously.  I don't do the Nordic Walk but use them as one uses crutches, and then fold them up and put them away after use.  Marvellous things!  I have certainly walked up and down a few hills using them!!


After we came home we watched a film starring Maggie Smith.  I thought this was based on a very funny book I read some time ago but it was based on a different one, quite sombre in places but enjoyable.

We sat with the curtains open and the passing ships could be seen out at sea .... in the distance .... and as the day closed they changed to small lights bobbing out in the darkness ........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info