Friday 16 September 2016

Tyseley Open Day 2016

We are not having an Open Weekend this Autumn, we are taking part in Birmingham Heritage Week so the Loco Works are open for three days.
We arrived early, PJ was looking after the car park as usual and I was 'volunteered' to sell tickets at the gate, but I managed to take time off now and again to take photos so here is a photo heavy post!!
Somewhere out there is a road bridge over the railway and that's where lots of folks gather to view the Steam Engines when they are going out on tour.  
I am given to understand that The Flying Scotsman can be seen from there this morning  ...... really?
Now this is a sight you very rarely see ..... the Visitors' Garden .... all kitted out with chairs and tables, ready for the picnicker to sit a while.

I thought I would take a few photos of the engine itself before the paying public were allowed in.

If you look carefully you can just see it peeping out above the huts .....

.....  you'll have to be quick .....

...... steam's up.....!!



I managed to get a little closer, there it is ...
.... parked up ..... 


.....I must walk round to see if I can get any closer ......


Time is getting on so I must get back to my position ready for the gate to open.


Just outside the gates are these two steam engines .... I called them Traction Engines but was quickly told that they were STEAM engines!!



Just look at the queue .....

.... from the gates it snakes across the car park ......

...... way back to the Warwick Road and the main entrance.....

.... and they are still coming .....

.... the gates don't open until 12.00hrs ......




Then the gates are open ...... the engines are flaunting themselves on the turntables .... 


.... and Flying Scotsman  is open for business .... if you haven't pre-booked ... you only get to look and not cross over the tender ......



Towards the end of the day as the cars slowly left the carpark, I noticed that someone else had crept out for a ride round .....


....creeping is not really the way she rolls.....


..... she steams .....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info