Tuesday 13 September 2016

New 'window boxes' for the Signal Box

 Back in June I sorted out the 'window boxes' from the workshop/garage and cleaned them up. 

The repairs I made to them last year have dried completely so I just needed to tidy them up a bit, brush them off and then paint them up.
Although the original ones I painted had a gold tudor rose, I decided that this time I would painted them just a uniform colour.  Now that the Signal Box has been completed (almost anyway!) they do not need any decoration apart from the flowers.
There will be one box on each fence panel, two on the signal box and two on the Platform fence.

Here is everything I think I will need, soil, drill, hooks, plants, window boxes and polystyrene 'bits' for the bottom of the boxes.


First off the hanging basket is planted up and hung ....


..... while I am planting, PJ hung the boxes on the Signal Box and another Volunteer, known to us at Roger 2, shaped the hooks to enable me to hang the boxes on the fences.


My goodness ...... that hedge needs a hair cut! .....





Now we have the boxes hung back on the fences ...

... they are planted up with plants that have been donated by our neighbour.  

When I planted up the centre bed earlier in the year, I reserved some of the plants for the Signal Box Garden.  




This is how the signal box looked back in 2002, so tired.



Now it is all spruced up and looking good, didn't really need the boxes to make it look good but  ......

After I had finished planting, I started to tidy up when the Heavens opened up and it rained ... and rained ..... 
  
I was really looking forward to seeing all the plants in full bloom but alas and alack, it was not to be so.  The hot weather came along and without my care, and just intermittent watering by other volunteers, several of the plants died.
I hope to be on site before the Heritage Weekend so that I can check out the gardens and titivate them up a little bit before the visitors come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info