Friday 2 September 2016

Upcycled Tumble Dryer

The tumble dryer story was here - but then PJ started to reduced it into parts to be: a) recycled: b) taken to the tip: c) saved for Christine!
Among the parts saved for me was the dryer drum.  
Why the dryer drum?  
Massive pot for plants.

I have been requested to put some plants outside the Bookings Office, and I am looking for one but it has to be of a certain kind.  It has to have an industrial look about it.  This is my own criteria, Vintage Trains is - Vintage and Steam Trains.
When I replaced the pot outside the main office, I bought a, for me, perfect imitation metal pot.  Looks good and so it should - it cost me £20!!!
Now we are retired we watch our pennies and I am definitely not paying that much for a pot again!

After much searching in garden centres, this tumble dryer 'pot' is starting to look good..... there is even a drainage hole!
One dry day, I washed the pot and placed it outside on the patio table.  
 I gathered up all my steampunk materials, some paint, hot glue gun, die cut cogs and chains from Balsa wood, card and paper.  Then I covered the table with a plastic sheet ready to start. 

I used some aluminium tape over the seams and some mesh tape along the upper and lower edges to give it a more solid feel and texture.  I also added pieces of the aluminium tape, folding and forming crinkles.  
I had some corrugated cardboard and telephone parts to add in with the cogs and gears.  


When I felt there were enough embellishments I proceeded to paint using MIO paint to make it longer lasting.  




A square from a chocolate box, nuts, and telephone parts alongside a piece of corrugated cardboard,  there is also a plain piece of balsa wood.


Here I used a piece of puncinello, more balsa wood and phone pieces.







Once the MIO was dry, I then painted the 'pot' with a top coat of dark grey - makes it look a bit more industrial, steam enginey?!!

Some of the detailing is lost but that's how steam engines look after years of work.

It will stay like this for several days to make sure it is absolutely dry.
Then off we will go to plant it up........

3 comments:

  1. Oh my Christine there's only you that would think of turning this into a plant pot but it's brilliant. Have a great weekend, Angela X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, what a very creative upcycle idea! Thank you so much for sharing with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a brilliant idea! Love the industrial look! Thank you for playing along with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info