Saturday 18 February 2012

and so to Uncle Fred ............


Uncle Fred and Auntie Gladys lived at 3 Ernest Road in Sparkhill, quite a small house and I only remember visiting it once as a child. There were two boys, older then me – young teenagers – and eventually we went down to the shed at the bottom of the garden and there was a wonderland there!! An electric train set all laid out on a table, magnificent! The table took up the whole space of the shed and the boys had to crawl underneath the table and up through a hole in the centre to operate the trains. They didn't know me but I was expected to climb through that hole and stand there admiring their train set and admire I did!!! I think that this is what made me want an electric train set of my own. Over the years I have seen many and envisaged how I would spend time making scenery etc., even planning at one time where it would go ............... I have a Christmas set now and my family bought me a whole village to go with it - I love it!! It's extra special to me because I can remember the buying of the village, going to Webbs and seeing the whole town!!!! But mine is extra precious because it is full of love.
Uncle Fred drove a truck but I did not know that until he had a heart attack and was not allowed to drive anymore – he was 58, too young to retire, only Gladys at home as his had all grown up. Mam was very worried about him at the time but then things calmed down again.
After Auntie Gladys died, Uncle Fred and Mam became very close again; after all they were the youngest two children. Uncle Fred used to keep budgies in his second bedroom and then he discovered he could paint and this took up the rest of his time. Ena had one of his paintings but I never achieved that status, he was a very good artist.
He went on holiday to Bowleaze Cove with Mam and Dad one year and I came down with Myra for a few days. He adored her and bought her this big oversized blue jumper, he thought it was a dress, and she lived in this jumper, wearing it as a dress with a belt round it. I remember visiting him at home once but then he passed on, the house was sold and another era ended …….. except for once …. His daughter, I think Dorothy, arranged for a big family party for the ‘French’ family. Most of us turned up and there must have been a good 100+, we couldn’t get over the fact that if John Richard had not married Ellen Hannah none of us would have been there!! It was a great evening and a good time was had by all as we renewed acquaintance with cousins long separated, even me with the two young sons of Uncle Fred! Mam had her photo taken with the youngest member of the French family, a baby girl of about six months.
All these contacts have now been lost again as, after we dispersed, no one from our side stayed in touch. I have often though to try to contact ‘Dorothy’ but all I know is that her husband was, at the time, the caretaker at Cranmore Infants school where the ‘bash’ was held, and now has no doubt retired.
I think that out of all the brothers, in looks and nature, he most of all resembled his father, my Grandad ………………

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it is appreciated ............... especially as these are my own stories ................... it is lovely to know that other people find them interesting.

My online Card Swapping Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CardWorkshop/info